Superintendent Neenan addresses national TikTok threat
Neenan: ‘Webster CSD has not received any threatening messages’
Webster, NY - The Webster Central School District - along with the Webster Police Department - shared a message to families addressing the national TikTok threat regarding violence at schools nationwide.
According to a joint press release with the Webster PD, Webster CSD has not received any threatening messages as of yet.
A viral trend about school shooting and bomb threats “for every school in the USA, even elementary” on December 17 spread across TikTok earlier this month. Schools began actively taking the necessary precautions to ensure the safety of their students and staff, should such threats materialize.
Superintendent of Schools Brian Neenan says the Webster district will continue working with the Webster PD and its school resource officers to “closely monitor social media and follow up on any concerning information that is brought to our attention.”
Neenan urged families to have conversations with their children regarding digital citizenship and cyber safety.
“Please remind your children that if they see (or hear) something, say something!” said Neenan.
Anyone with concerns on the topic are advised to reach out to a school administrator, contact the Safe School Helpline at 1-800-4-1-VOICE (1-800-418-6423), ext. 359, and/or text the word "TIPS" to 614-426-0240 or online at safeschoolhelpline.com.
“We handle even rumored threats with utmost seriousness,” TikTok wrote in a Tweet on December 16, “which is why we're working with law enforcement to look into warnings about potential violence at schools, even though we have not found evidence of such threats originating or spreading via TikTok.”